2009-02-01

980106人間菩提英文版 Spreading Love around the World

人間菩提--延伸全球之愛
Spreading Love around the World

When my husband was still alive, I relied a lot on him
No matter what it was, I relied on him to take care of it for me.
So, when he passed away so suddenly, I felt disheartened toward everything.
I started making unsavory friends and got into smoking and drinking.
I did everything.
I even gambled.
One year later, I used up all the money my husband had left me so I too on a job working as a caretaker.
But, things got worse because while I was off duty.
I’d go gambling.
I kept gambling because I had given up on myself.
As a caretaker, we had to do health checkups.
That was how I discovered I had uterine cancer.
At first, I kept wondering, “Why me?”
I lost my husband and encountered so many misfortunes.
I thought life was very unfair to me.

See, isn’t life full of suffering?
But, because there are people in suffering, that’s why there are living bodhisattvas.
This woman, Bi-xia, is a Christian.
At one time, she was in adversity.
When her case was referred to Tzu Chi, our volunteer visited her many times despite her refusing their help and not really welcoming them.
Qiu-bi brough three volunteers to see me.
I thought to myself, “I’m Christian”
“I don’t want to have anything to do with you”
So, I ‘d glare at her.
I didn’t want to talk to her at all so I glared at her hoping that she’d leave as quickly as possible.
Despite that, she still came over to see me every 10 or 20 days.
Who could’ve known that she’d become my greatest support now.
She is just like my mother.
Once Tzu Chi volunteers (knew she was suffering from cancer)
(and was facing financial difficulties,) they would not give up on her.
That is to help others without needing to be asked.
(They didn’t give up on her, but still) tried o communicate with her.
Finally, our volunteers’ sincerity moved her and she opened her heart to our volunteers.
Her whole family now accepts Tzu Chi, and the difference in religion is not an obstacle anymore.
Now, not only is she a recycling volunteer, everyone in her family also dedicates themselves to Tzu Chi’s recycling work.
Despite her being of a different religious belief, she can still join us in our recycling effort to care for the land and work to collect donations for Tzu Chi to inspire people’s love so that everyone can have the chance to give of their love through making donations. (to benefit those in need)
The doctors told her that she had-terminal cancer and wouldn’t live past the last Chinese New Year and wouldn’t live past the last Chinese New Year.
But, she remained very strong and would not bow down to fate.
She survived the last Chinese New Year.
I was very touched by her spirit.
It made me think that if I were in her shoes.
Would I be able to face life so bravely?
As long as I am still alive, I’ll help others.
See, all this is what Tzu Chi volunteers have been doing.
Everyone, I am truly very grateful for all that you have done as Tzu Chi volunteers transcend the borders of religion and nationality.
In the footage, we see that in 2008, many natural and manmade disasters occurred in many countries around the world.
See, no matter where Tzu Chi volunteers live, wherever a disaster strikes, Tzu Chi volunteers will go there to help.
For example, after the Sichuan Earthquake struck, I appealed to Tzu Chi volunteers worldwide. (to do whatever they could to help)
So, volunteers in different countries, all went to the streets with donation boxes to raise funds, pooling together every bit of donation to help those affected by disaster.
We also see the Islamic boarding school in Indonesia.
Tzu Chi volunteers have been providing aid to them, and they can now support themselves by they can now support themselves by growing vegetables and making bread while also being able to help Tzu Chi volunteers raise funds for the disaster victims in China’s Sichuan and Myanmar.
The Muslim Elder himself participated in raising funds as well by standing alongside Tzu Chi volunteers.
This is to rise above religious differences.
Everyone, love makes no distinction between religions or races.
We can’t bear to see people living in suffering.
We truly don’t have the heart to see that.
We hear many people say that because of the economic downturn and the global financial crisis, (they are now less well-to-do)
But, giving of love doesn’t mean one has to donate a lot of money.
What we hope is to pool together, everyone’s contribution however small it may seem.
Then, with a lot of people joining together to give with a sincere heart---how much money people donate is not important.
(What’s most important is coming together---)
With more people, the amount pooled together will enable us to help others.
As I watched Da Ai News this morning, I couldn’t help but give rise to great admiration.
In the past, the blacks (in South Africa) were usually the recipients of aid from whites
But in the news this morning, I saw our black Zulu volunteers providing aid to whites.
At the first Year-end Blessings Ceremony this year, Tzu Chi volunteers around the world came back to become certified Tzu Chi members.
Among them were our Zulu volunteers from S. Africa.
After the certification ceremony in Hualien, they traveled down south to Jiayi and Yunlin.(to learn about farming skills)
They did this because I have been hoping that more people in South Africa can get involved in farming because S. Africa has very vast land and as long as people learn how to farm.
(they can support themselves and have food)
The next day after they returned to South Africa, KwaMakhutha (30 km south of Durban) was devastated by a severe storm.
Our volunteers had just returned from Taiwan, but they quickly gathered everyone together to take action to help people in the disaster-stricken area.
They quickly went to cook hot meals and distribute relief goods.
Those affected by the storm included not only blacks but also whites.
This group of Zulu volunteer bodhisattvas respectfully handed the goods to those affected by the disaster by they white or black.
Seeing how they provided the hot meals made me feel very happy.
Aren’t they all volunteers who had received seeds of love from Tzu Chi?
See, as long as we bear love, we can change the world.
History can be changed---black people don’t always have to be the ones being helped as they, too. can aid others.
This is what can be achieved.
(when we work to let love flourish in this land)
So, everyone, I would like to express my gratitude to each one of you for the united strength that comes from every bit of love you have given.
When there are lives to be saved, our volunteer doctors will go save lives.
When we appeal for bone marrow donors, many people with loving hearts will step forward to register as a bone marrow donor.
When I called upon people to use their hands to do recycling and save the Earth.
See how many of you, pitch in to collect and sort recyclables.
It is very hard work but you are not afraid and you are all very happy doing it,
All that you do gives me great strength to spread such love throughout the world.
That is why many people in so many countries have been inspired to save more people in even more places.
All this is a cycle of love.
I am truly very grateful for all your efforts.

No comments: