2009-02-01

980103人間菩提英文版 Making Good Use of the Consumption Voucher

勤儉顧本‧善用所得
Making Good Use of the Consumption Voucher



Because we have an abundance of love and sincerity in our hearts, our love and sincerity have reached all Buddhas and Bodhisattvas above
(As such, we were able to pass through 2008)
(In relative peace and safety)
However, as we look around the world, how many disasters had happened all around the world?
In 2008, which was just a few days ago, everyone was very worried and concerned about the financial crisis and the economic downturn.
But I feel that we should use this opportunity to educate the public (to live frugally)
In the past few years, we’ve overindulged ourselves
We should return to the fundamental values of life and live amore grounded life.
We should be more frugal and work diligently.
(To boost the economy,) the Taiwan government plants to give out NT$3,600 in consumption vouchers.
As the legislation has been passed, you should go pick up your voucher.
In fact, when I learned of this news, I was very happy for you all, because you will have extra money in your pocket.
What difference does this extra money make to you?
Many said, “Not much”
Yet it will cost the government Nt$85 billion.
You each receive NT$3,600 in vouchers, but it adds up to NT$85.65 bil (US$2.58 bil)that the government has to spend.
This is the government’s program to help us so we should get the voucher and use it wisely.
While it’s meant for consumption, I hope that you can use it to create blessings.
So, I’ve already found out that this voucher can be donated to charity.
Indeed, if people can donate it, it can be used to benefit the needy.
I hope that this money can be used wisely to help the poor or those who have lost their jobs to help them get through this difficult time and get back on their feet again.
This money can help them do this.
If we can make good use of this money, 80 some billion NT dollars, it can really help a lot of people.
When I’ve asked people about the voucher, most say that it doesn’t really help them much.
It feels a bit regrettable.
So, I want to tell everyone that please don’t think that it’s only NT$3,600 that you’ll be getting.
We have to think about the NT$80 some billion
We should not let this money go to waste and toward young people, especially, we should use this opportunity to teach them.
(to be frugal and do good deeds)
Thinking back to when Tzu Chi started 43 years ago.
Taiwan was not as prosperous as it is now.
Forty or fifty years ago, Taiwan had only come out of Japanese rule for a number of years.
The US was providing aid to Taiwan.
(When Tzu Chi started, it had little resources)
At that time, Tzu Chi was the only civic charitable organization in Taiwan.
When we registered, there were no other civic charities in Taiwan.
Tzu Chi was the first and we had founded Tzu Chi 43 years ago.
(with funds coming from)people saving NT$0.50 of their grocery money daily.
From that beginning, today, while we are here in Taiwan.
There are Tzu Chi volunteers.
(in numerous other countries around the world)
In many places, when there are disasters, Tzu Chi volunteers closest to the disaster area would promptly go to provide aid and care.
And, these volunteers all say that the help is from Taiwan.
So, now the aid is coming form Taiwan whereas before, we used to receive US aid.
Many countries around the world now are receiving aid form Tzu Chi—and thus form Taiwan.
A few years ago, when there was a fire in Los Angeles County, US, Tzu Chi volunteers went to care for those affected.
Back then, we hadn’t started producing blankets so a check for US$500 was given
One of the aid recipients was a woman who had moved to the US from Taiwan.
Her home had been destroyed by the fire.
Tzu Chi offered aid to all people affected by the fire, no matter if they were American or Chinese.
We gave aid to everyone equally.
Because that woman was from Taiwan, she started sobbing when she received our aid.
She said that she wasn’t crying because the fire had destroyed her home.
She was crying because though she was in the US in her time of need,
It was a group from Taiwan that came to her aid.
Ever since then, Tzu Chi members there have been offering care and aid in those parts whenever a disaster happened.
Recently, we’ve produced blankets made from recycled PET bottles.
Hundreds of thousands of blankets have already been given out, especially in the US.
So long as we have love in our hearts by joining together, we can do a lot.
We learned the story of a volunteer
(My mom can be quite violent)
She would hit us when we were little when we were only this big.
Master De Yang kept telling me that I need to let go of my hatred (toward my husband) and help him join Tzu Chi.
After ten years, he finally became a Tzu Cheng.
Every time he came back from the volunteer work, he would be very happy.
After he became a Tzu Cheng member, my hatred towards him gradually disappeared.
After his volunteer work one time, he went to see the doctor.
The doctor told him that he had terminal stage lung cancer.
“I failed in my business”
“I also wrecked my marriage”
“I messed everything up”
When I was taking care of him, there were many things he was afraid to tell me.
He would tell the patient staying next to him to tell me that he loves me.
When he was at the terminal stage of the cancer, all he said to me was that he was sorry.
This made me realize that we really need to say what we truly feel and not wait until it’s too late.
His only worry at the end was his mother.
So, I promised him that I would take good care of his mother.
I lost my mother when I was four.
So, I treat my mother-in-law as my own mother.
She would treat me as her own daughter.
Our family is a happy and harmonious one.
We get along really well.
My daughter-in-law is just like my own daughter.
I’m very happy that my son joined Tzu Chi with my daughter-in-law. I’m very grateful.
My son and daughter-in-law are very filial to me.
I’m very proud of them.
Every day is a new beginning.
Now that I think about it, all the suffering that I’ve endured are all in the past.
Why be bitter about it?
There’s no need to hold on to it.
I just want to follow Master life after life.
Women truly have a hard lot.
The women whose real-life stories are portrayed on our Da Ai Dramas all endured a lot.
Even so, this volunteer truly has the heart of a bodhisattva and motherly love, and has forgiven (her husband)
Seeing her life story, doesn’t it.
Remind us(not to bear hatred)?
Her story teaches us to open our heart and mind.
So, among people, we can learn about the Dharma.
(We should be a living bodhisattva)
We have to use the Buddha’s teachings in our lives and serve as a bodhisattva.
The Buddha’s teachings should be widely applied to this world and everyone can serve as a bodhisattva.
We should have the sense of mission (to help others)
Living in this world, the most blessed person is a person who can (make people’s lives better)
This is the most blessed person.

No comments: